Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year Light?

A Christmas gift to myself was a Better Beamer flash extender for my Nikon SB900. The Beamer basically captures the flash output, condenses its focus to as to extend the distance of the flash beam. It is designed to be used with telephoto lenses and a distant image object that would not be "flashed" without extending the flash beam.

Today the conditions were just about right for testing the Better Beamer. Heavily overcast, gray day, with some snow flakes, flat and low light. Fill flash will lustre up the birds, I thought.  I took my 300mm f2.8, snapped in a 1.4x teleconverter, dialed in ISO 400, set the camera to aperture control mode, adjusted my flash to -0.7 compensation (to make sure I used enough of the ambient light with some assist from the flash) and went to Hawrelak Park were I can count on seeing several woodpeckers, nuthatches and chickadees -- the usual suspects, in other words. Here are a few results. Not bad for a first attempt at fill flashing with the Better Beamer.

Male Downy Woodpecker
Male Hairy Woodpecker


Male Hairy Woodpecker

Female Hairy Woodpecker

White-breasted Nuthatch

White-breased Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

No comments:

Post a Comment